(Shel·e·miʹah) [Jehovah Is Recompense; or, Communion Sacrifice of Jehovah].
1. A Levitical gatekeeper assigned by lot to the E of the sanctuary during David’s reign.—1Ch 26:14; see MESHELEMIAH.
2. Grandfather of Jehoiakim’s officer Jehudi; son of Cushi.—Jer 36:14.
3. Father of Zedekiah’s messenger Jehucal (Jucal).—Jer 37:3; 38:1.
4. Father of Irijah, the officer in charge of Jerusalem’s Gate of Benjamin; son of Hananiah.—Jer 37:13.
5. One of the messengers of King Jehoiakim sent to bring Jeremiah and Baruch before him; son of Abdeel.—Jer 36:26.
6, 7. Two men listed among the sons or descendants of Binnui who, on Ezra’s return to Jerusalem in 468 B.C.E., sent away their foreign wives.—Ezr 10:38, 39, 41, 44.
8. Father of the Hananiah who helped repair Jerusalem’s wall.—Ne 3:30.
9. A priest, and one of those whom Nehemiah, on his second visit to Jerusalem, entrusted with the stores and with the distribution of the tithes to their proper recipients.—Ne 13:6, 7, 12, 13.