Title Page/Publishers’ Page
Mankind’s Search for God
During the thousands of years of mankind’s history, man’s search for God has led down many pathways. The result has been the enormous diversity of religious expression found worldwide—from the endless variety of Hinduism to the monotheism of Judaism, Islām, and Christendom and to the Oriental philosophies of Shinto, Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism. In other vast regions, mankind has turned to animism, magic, spiritism, and shamanism. Has this search for God been successful? Through this book we invite you, regardless of your religious background, to join in this fascinating search for the true God.—The Publishers
July 2015 Printing
This publication is not for sale. It is provided as part of a worldwide Bible educational work supported by voluntary donations.
Symbols for translations of the Bible and for other religious books used herein:
AS - American Standard Version, American Revision Committee (1901)
AYA - The Holy Qur-an, translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali (1934)
BG - Bhagavad-gītā as It Is, Abridged Edition, translation by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda (1976)
Int - The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures (1985)
JP - The Holy Scriptures, The Jewish Publication Society of America (1955)
KJ - King James Version (1611)
MMP - The Glorious Qurʼan, translation by Muhammad M. Pickthall (1977)
NAB - The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition (1970)
NJD - The Koran, translation by N. J. Dawood (1974)
NW - New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures—With References (1984)
RS - Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (1966)
Ta - Tanakh, The Holy Scriptures, The New Jewish Publication Society Translation (1985)
Unless otherwise stated, Bible quotations or citations are from the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.
Bibliography of Some Major Works Consulted
▪ Abingdon Dictionary of Living Religions, K. Crim, editor, 1981.
▪ Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament, J. B. Pritchard, editor, 1969.
▪ Ancient Sun Kingdoms of the Americas, The, V. W. von Hagen, 1961.
▪ Archeology of World Religions, The, J. Finegan, 1952.
▪ Bible of the World, The, Robert O. Ballou, editor, 1939.
▪ Buddhism, Richard A. Gard, editor, 1961.
▪ Crucible of Christianity, The, A. Toynbee, editor, 1975.
▪ Encyclopaedia Judaica, 1973.
▪ Encyclopedia of Eastern Philosophy and Religion, The, 1989.
▪ Encyclopedia of World Faiths, The, P. Bishop and M. Darton, editors, 1988.
▪ Great Asian Religions, C. George Fry and others, 1984.
▪ Great Voices of the Reformation, Harry Emerson Fosdick, editor, 1952.
▪ Here I Stand, Roland Bainton, 1950.
▪ Hinduism, Louis Renou, 1961.
▪ Hindu Mythology, W. J. Wilkins, 1988.
▪ History of the Arabs, Philip K. Hitti, 1943.
▪ Insight on the Scriptures, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of N.Y., Inc., 1988.
▪ Islam, John Alden Williams, editor, 1961.
▪ Judaism, Arthur Hertzberg, 1961.
▪ Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan, 1983.
▪ Lao Tsu, Tao Te Ching, A New Translation, Gia-fu Feng and J. English, 1972.
▪ Man’s Religions, John B. Noss, 1980.
▪ Manual of Buddhism, A, Nārada Thera, 1949.
▪ Mixture of Shintoism and Buddhism, The, Hidenori Tsuji, 1986.
▪ Mythology—An Illustrated Encyclopedia, R. Cavendish, editor, 1980.
▪ New Encyclopædia Britannica, The, 1987.
▪ New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology, 1984.
▪ Oxford Dictionary of Popes, The, J. N. D. Kelly, 1986.
▪ Philosophy of Confucius, The, J. Legge, translator.
▪ Reformation of the Sixteenth Century, The, Roland Bainton, 1965.
▪ Search for the Christian Doctrine, The, R. P. C. Hanson, 1988.
▪ Servetus and Calvin, R. Willis, 1877.
▪ Sources of Modern Atheism, The, Marcel Neusch, 1982.
▪ South American Mythology, H. Osborne, 1983.
▪ Story of Civilization, The, W. and A. Durant, 1954-75.
▪ Story of the Reformation, The, William Stevenson, 1959.
▪ Symbolism of Hindu Gods and Rituals, The, A. Parthasarathy, 1985.
▪ Twelve Caesars, The, Suetonius, translated by R. Graves, 1986.
▪ Wisdom of Confucius, The, Lin Yutang, editor, 1938.
▪ World Religions—From Ancient History to the Present, G. Parrinder, editor, 1983.