(Joʹel) [Jehovah Is God].
1. A descendant of Issachar and family head in his tribe.—1Ch 7:1-4.
2. A descendant of Levi’s son Kohath; “son of Azariah” and forefather of No. 5.—1Ch 6:36-38.
3. A Reubenite whose descendant Beerah was taken into exile by Assyrian King Tilgath-pilneser (Tiglath-pileser III).—1Ch 5:3-10.
4. A headman of the Gadites living in Bashan.—1Ch 5:11, 12.
5. The firstborn son of the prophet Samuel; a descendant of No. 2 and father of Heman the Levitical singer. (1Ch 6:28, 33, 36; 15:17) Joel and his younger brother Abijah had been appointed by their father to be judges, but their dishonesty in office gave the people an excuse to ask for a human king.—1Sa 8:1-5.
At 1 Chronicles 6:28 the Masoretic text (and certain translations) says “Vashni” was Samuel’s firstborn. Scholars, however, generally agree that “Joel” was in the original Hebrew, a reading retained by the Syriac Peshitta and the Lagardian edition of the Greek Septuagint. (Compare 1Sa 8:2.) Similarity between “Joel” and the ending of a preceding word in the text (“Samuel”) possibly caused a scribe inadvertently to drop the name “Joel” altogether. Seemingly, he then mistook the Hebrew word wehash·she·niʹ (meaning “and the second [son]”) for the proper name “Vashni” and inserted the letter waw (and) before the name Abijah.
7. A Gershonite Levite of the house of Ladan; son of Jehiel(i). (1Ch 23:7, 8) Joel the chief and 130 of his brothers sanctified themselves and helped bring the ark of the covenant to Jerusalem. (1Ch 15:4, 7, 11-14) Joel and his brother Zetham were later appointed as overseers of the sanctuary treasures.—1Ch 26:21, 22.
8. A prince, during David’s reign, of that part of Manasseh W of the Jordan; son of Pedaiah.—1Ch 27:20-22.
10. A Kohathite Levite; son of Azariah. In the first year of Hezekiah, Joel helped take the unclean objects removed from the temple by the priests to the Kidron Valley for disposal.—2Ch 29:1, 3, 12, 15, 16.
12. One of the sons of Nebo who dismissed their foreign wives and sons in Ezra’s day.—Ezr 10:43, 44.